Tuesday, September 4, 2007

A Third Introduction

Hello! I am David, and I'm a writer. I'm a part of this New Fables group, though I have to admit I don't write nearly as often or as well as many of the group's members. Hopefully as ever, though, this will change in the near future.

I was most recently published in the Summer 2007 issue of the anthology New Fables, though I've also been published by Sofawolf Press in Historimorphs and Breaking the Ice: Stories from New Tibet. My poetry has appeared in Reed Magazine, Poesia Quarterly and The Avatar of St. Mary's College of Maryland.

Now that the excessively dry list of credentials are out of the way, I'm very interested in telling stories, in a variety of ways. I love the episodic nature of television, which lets you tell self-contained stories fit neatly within the context of a much broader arc, and I also adore the quick and dirty style of short stories and films. The ability to distill so many ideas, emotions and themes into a perfect line of dialogue or description endlessly fascinates me.

With genres, I wander around a lot but I certainly have my favorites. I prefer fantasy (both medieval and modern) to sci-fi, and almost anything apocalyptic and beyond has my number. I blame this on my proper Christian upbringing.

Despite the fact that I've been doing this for a while, I'm still green. With practice, there should be visible improvement. I hope.

No comments: